Petition to Change Name for Social Reasons

The authority of this Court to hear change of name petitions is found in 10 Del. C. 5901-5905. Section 5901(a) provides as follows: (a) Any person who desires to change his or her name, shall present a petition, duly verified, to the Court of Common Pleas sitting in the county in which the person resides. the petition shall set forth such person's name and the name he or she desires to assume. Section 5903 provides as follows: No petition for change of name under this chapter shall be granted unless it affirmatively appears that the petition has been published in a newspaper published in the county in which the proceeding is had, at least once a week for 3 weeks before the petition is filed.